Skip to main content

We are blessed beyond measure and then there's East Africa


 
 How do we define necessity?  Must we have peanut butter and jelly on our bread?  It's a favorite treat of American children (sans the peanut allergies).  I certainly had it growing up with my sister and brothers and we had our choice of bread in my family's kitchen too.   My parents provided us with white, wheat, Jamaican hard dough and it was in abundance. We grew up well fed.
We  were and are blessed beyond measure.
A well respected mentor of mine used to say to me, "Better than I deserve" this was his answer when I asked how he was doing. 
As I look at our survival in this time of global unrest, war, suffering, economic and social crisis,  I know now that he actually meant, "Blessed beyond measure in comparison to the rest of the world." 
Drought, famine, warfare and factions, spiritual unrest,  the absence of birth control, disease is prevalent.  Children are suffering and dying. These are the things that have been evaluated as I questioned what is going on in" Africa's horn." What is surely coming from there is the sound of  human loss. 
I recall  that as a child growing up in the 80s,  I used to see the commercials of television for Feed The Children.  I recall hearing how "a dollar a day could change the life of a child." I recall seeing pictures of malnourished children and even as a little child, I knew " we" were not supposed to look like that.  When I asked him about it, my Dad that when you don't have anything to eat for a long time that your stomach fills with gas and that is why there were "such skinny kids with big bellies" as I had described it.  He told me then that the proper term was "malnourished."  He said to me, " It is one of the world's biggest problem's baby." He reminded me of how blessed we were to have a home, clothes, a safe place to play and food and I quickly went and got my change jar  from my bedroom and asked if we could send it.  He pinched my nose, told me to keep my money and that he would send some.  I know that it brought comfort to the child that was me back then. 
I also recall that some music artists even banded together and there were televised relief campaigns that helped.  Where are the musicians, actors and their  counterparts now?  Those with the power of voice and that influence just because they share their art?  Those twitter profiles just like me  but in fact  they have millions of  followers; in some cases more that there are people in several states in the United States. Those are the ones I long to see get involved.  I don't expect it from those from the 80s,  I want to see  it  manifest with those who are shining under the bright lights of fame today. Hello HOLLYWOOD? 
A personal Hollywood favorite of mine, Malik Yoba has been dedicated to Ethiopia's Children for the past 16 years of his 21 year career as an actor. He was instrumental in starting a school there and goes back to "check up." While his mission was not about famine and feeding children in the midst of starvation, education certainly can help Ethiopia's children ; so here is an example of someone doing his part.  In returning from his last trip he said "Children, no matter where they are in the world sound the same when they sing and laugh."  He said nothing about when they cry. Probably because his work is about helping them to avoid crying.
It is no doubt a different time, the level of consciousness is very different and so we are clear folks, the 1980s in the United States was a time of both job and employment crisis too. It was a difficult time. This is not a different game. I do think we are different players with a different level of consciousness, compassion, and  new agendas.

Today..I don't think it is as simple as my change jar. I still have one. I actually have two and they are far more elegant than what once housed Smucker's  grape jelly.  It is about  land irrigation systems, food prices, research, global humanitarian policies for help and aid, foreign supply, governnments and social systems and so much more. Giving to save lives is a necessity  and while all that either becomes more convoluted or is worked out is yet to be seen as thousands die in East Africa every day. 
Perhaps as I do my part,   I will also reach out to the JM Smuckers company and issue a challenge for helping the organizations on the ground in East Africa.
Ironically they manufacture food  items of excess. Toppings and sweet condiments and treats to top our treats and nonessential food.  As and adult I think it is funny that at 9 years old  I collected  and saved change in those jars.  Jam/ jelly and peanut butter is just not a necessity to me now.  But imagine having bread and jam to feed the children in East Africa who are malnourished and subject to starvation.
In case you are interested in doing more than reading this blog, herein are the links to two organizations that are global and on the ground there.  (Save the Children and Care) Do what you can and what you think you cannot. 
Perhaps instead of going out one night  this week, you  can donate what dinner out would have cost to one or both of them . Maybe you can have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich instead.  Truth is we know that the majority of us reading this have options well beyond that.  Thank you. 
May Health, Peace, Love and Comfort be your personal knowing in these days.  In the meantime be aware, compassionate and please share in being a part of the human family. Cling to those that you love, have pity on those you don't and say "Thank you." We have a lot. We really do. May you continue to do " better than we deserve'.
Love, light, peace and health. 
Adrienne A. Wallace 

Comments

  1. People who live in the US, and call themselves "poor", have to remember the absolute poverty in these 3rd world countries, including East Africa.

    They're food stamps and food pantries when someone falls on hard times in this country. There's also AFDC, Section 8, and the like. In other words when times gets tough, our local welfare office is just phone call away.

    I once lived in the system. When I took my Sociology class a year ago, I changed my way of thinking. I stopped referring myself as "poor", and simply say "I'm going through hard times".

    My thoughts and prayers goes out to the people who suffering day in and day out. I'll do what I can to donate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Imani - Thank you for your comment and brave truth of your experience here in the "land of opportunity." While I know what you mean..I must correct you and say that your compassion goes deeper when you understand that there is no such thing as a "third world." That very language creates a social distinctions of "better than."

    There is one world, my friend and the more we start thinking of it as such the better we will do to heal it and become less separated.

    My thoughts and prayers for new found prosperity are with you and all who are without their basic needs today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LETTING GO....

  L-E-T-T-I-N-G    G-O You have seen these words before..yes? Very simply written in nine letters. “L e tting  go .” Why does it make you uncomfortable?  It is simply an action that you as a human being experience every single day, just by physically and chemically existing.  It is an action that occurs when you have complete trust in your intuition ; that heaven sent voice inside of you. You know the one you may not always agree with, but the angels are so fond of you ..they send it into your ears, head, heart , and sometimes your eyes? If you are reading this your eyes open and they shut very quickly ..it is called "blinking" but in fact it is letting go and it happens very quickly. As we blink old light goes away and we allow new light to come in …seeing the next moment. As you turned on your computer or device you may have pressed a button, touched the screen, flipped a switch. As you clicked on your mouse, stroked and released keys on the keyboard, raised your fin

Show some respect. He is not your companion. He is your Commander -In - Chief.

The blatant and horrid disrespect of our Nation's President started long before the State of the Union address where he was called a " liar"  and continues with  even worse name calling and racial attacks. Our President may be referred to as the following:  " Mr. President", "The Honorable Barack Obama", "His Excellency,  Barack Obama", and of course President Obama.  Nothing less is acceptable. Even referencing him by first name alone (as many people do) is out of line unless you are First Lady Michelle Obama. While I think we are a global family, I also think these ongoing episodes do much to  further segregate America and give it the image of our country as a place of disgrace, disuntity, and hate. Imagine trying to explain it to a 5 year old who followed the campaign and elections with her family and proudly declared that " Our President is Barack Obama and Ms. Michelle looks like my Nana." (*my heart breaks for

The Attack on Womanhood by " so gone" women

I AM outraged and sickened by some of the behavior I have seen by women online in the recent few days. Guess what women? We use social media to post and share at greater portions and frequency than our male counterparts and we could use it for good more so than anything else. It and we are all- powerful tools in social evolution and wellness of our world. Following is my open letter crafted after seeing how some women have chosen humiliation over humility using social media this week and likewise it is for some of you women who are in my opinion "so gone": Dear YOU, And we as women are crafted to be compassionate creatures; allegedly with a mammalian instinct to nurture and protect; not just children --but the Divine intention is for Shakti grace; so we are to protect that which is vital and life affirming amongst each other as women. This is important ESPECIALLY as it applies to other women and children who depend on us to get here and thus impact perception of all hu